Oil and Gas
- The majority of my practice pertains to oil and gas matters. I represent operators (lessees) as well as landowners (lessors), and sometimes investors, suppliers and service companies. If you check my "Fees" page, there is a sampling of some of the services in my oil and gas practice. It is not an exhaustive list. I've been involved in substantial sales and acquisitions of both producing and prospective properties. Recent transactions have involved the new "hotbed" of coalbed methane gas exploration and development.
- This area of practice includes formation of corporations, partnerships, limited partnerships, limited liability companies, and limited liability partnerships; and various matters subsequent to organization. I remind clients when they are due to hold annual meetings, and prepare minutes and resolutions. I limit this area of practice to what I would call small businesses, and I limit it to non-tax matters. If there is tax planning to be done, I refer it to tax attorney or CPA. When there are buy-outs, mergers, dissolutions, etc., there are inevitable tax issues that require evaluation with an expertise that I do not claim to have. I attempt to keep abreast of tax matters, so that I can recognize these issues when they need to be recognized; but I will make a referral when it comes to analyzing the issues and deciding on a course that's driven by tax planning.
- Business law services include sale of a business, preparation of contracts and related instruments such as promissory notes, security agreements, financing statements, etc. Again, tax planning is referred out.
- Real estate services include preparing sale contracts, deeds and mortgages for the sale of both residential and business properties; as well as residential and business leases; and related matters such as title examination.
Wills and Probate
- I do not engage extensively in wills, trusts and probate matters. I prepare "simple" wills and trust instruments that do not require estate tax planning. Many of the probate proceedings I handle are done to cure defects in title to real estate or to oil and gas lease interests.
- This is a solo practice. There are several legal subjects in which I don't offer services. It is not possible, in my opinion, to be competent in all areas of the law, at least not all at the same time.
Some Things I Don't Do
The Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Icon is a service mark of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used under permission from Reed Elsevier Properties Inc. in accord with the terms and conditions established by Martindale-Hubbell.